Finding the perfect family holiday can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Trying to find a trip that suits everyone, from the youngest to the oldest, can be difficult as different age groups have different needs and expectations. Holidays in Spain can provide the perfect family holiday for all. Spain is such a wide and varied country, millions flock there every year to experience the vibrant culture, superb attractions and famous beaches.
Spanish culture is a rich and varied country of many dialects and customs that has been one of the key cultural centres in Europe for centuries. Spain is known for its painters, music, languages, film industry and its history. Most of the larger cities boast many famous cultural areas that will keep the whole family entertained, including museums, shopping and entertainment.
Key cultural centres:
- Barcelona- the cosmopolitan capital ofCatalonia
- Madrid- the Spanish capital, full of art, museums and other exhibitions
- Seville- the birthplace of flamenco dancing and bullfighting
- Cordoba- with a heavy Moorish influence
Spainis full of family-friendly activities. From theme parks to water parks, zoos and safaris, mountains and beaches, the resorts and cities of the country have excellent distractions for children of all ages (including adults!) that are popular with tourists. Many of these attractions are seasonal so may not be operational out of the summer, however.
- Barcelona- has a zoo, a water park and a theme park
- MountTeife, Tenerife – the highest peak inSpain
- SiamPark, Tenerife -Europe’s largest aqua park
- TivoliWorld – a permanent theme park aimed at a younger audience
One of the main reasons Spainhas remained a popular tourist destination for British holidaymakers is because of its beautiful weather. Clear, blue skies and stunning beaches are key ingredients of many fantastic Spain holidays. From gold, to white, to black, even the colour of the sand is as varied as the places themselves. It is always worth doing a bit of research into the kind of beach you require but on the whole, most Spanish resorts are safe for the whole family to enjoy.
The best of the beaches:
- Fuerteventura- beautiful golden beaches
- Menorca- more beaches than most of its neighbouring islands
- Tenerife- golden and black volcanic beaches
- Costa Blanca – ‘the white coast’ with its famous beaches
Spainhas something for everyone, no matter what age, and a trip to the mainland or one of the many islands is sure to give you and your family a holiday to remember.
Thomas Edwards has been an international traveller since the early ‘80s and has widely covered Europe, the USA and as far afield as Thailand, Hong Kong and China. He has written as both a business, individual and family traveller and a language or two has given him the opportunity to engage with people to a greater degree.